User Menu

Notification settings

Currently Playing

PC-ITGoogle.it by flag Xerxes (Klaus Lunde)
Requested By: djrandom
Pouet

Time Left: 3:02

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

General » Nectarine BBS Door

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagHappyDude
Nostalgic BBS Sysop - v2.0

17 Posts
#1585 (3 years ago)
Hi Everyone,

Just a crazy nostalgic beer fuelled idea (again)...

Would there be anything wrong or frowned upon if I were to write a little DOS BBS door that read the https://www.scenestream.net/demovibes/xml/queue/ endpoint and allowed users of the BBS to see the currently playing song/artist?
Perhaps more?

I'd love to have my DOS, RemoteAccess based BBS display the currently playing Nectarine Tuna to the thousands of users I get logging in each day... ok 4 or 5...

Aaron/HD
flagHappyDude

17 Posts
#1586 (3 years ago)
Little update...

Since I didn't receive any objections (yet) I've been developing the door and have the first public version working

It uses CURL (for DOS) to connect to the queue endpoint and then parses the resulting XML to extract the currently playing song & artist (could take it further to get the requester, upcoming, etc...).
It then writes the song and artist variables into a text file surrounded by embedded ANSI colour control codes to make the text look pretty.

When the BBS displays the Demoscene ANSI menu, an embedded control code attaches the text file and displays the contents in glorious 16 colours!

The song/artist text file is updated each time a caller first requests the Demoscene menu.
So far no rate control issues... I'll have to deal with that when my BBS reaches 1000 callers per day...

Once it's polished, I'll put the code up for download on my BBS.. don't all rush to get it at once! I only have 2 nodes...
I'd wager this may be the first RemoteAccess BBS DOS door written in decades. lol
flagHappyDude

17 Posts
#1596 (2 years, 12 months ago)
A little display line cleanup and faster parsing/trimming of the raw XML data.

flagA120068030

1 Posts
#1597 (2 years, 12 months ago)
Very cool
Pages: 1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.