User Menu

Notification settings

Currently Playing

PC (Custom)Cannitur by flag Alk (Jim Redfern)
Requested By: flagSPACE

Time Left: 3:40

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

General » Tags

Forums » General » Tags (2 posts)
Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagOldchap

20 Posts
#494 (4 years, 11 months ago)
I re-tagged the songs that had been designated "chill" as "Chilllout" since the latter was the dominant group. I hope that this act of consolidation doesn't upset anyone.

There are probably a number of instances where tags can be consolidated and maybe we could have a discussion about that here. For example, there is the "Funk" tag as well as the "Funky" tag. However, there might be a case for not combining those two, since a song could "sound funky" without being explicitly "funk," though on the other hand I doubt that people assigning the tags have really worried about such distinctions or only assigned "Funk" to those songs that were intentionally composed as funk rather than simply achieving a funky sound.

There's also some ambiguous overlap between certain multiple tags, for example "Chillout" and "lounge." The latter is more of a genre whereas the former is a descriptive sound that tends to describe that genre.

I think that the "boring" tag should be eliminated. Whether or not a tune is boring is entirely subjective. If I hear a song that I really like but discover that it has been marked "boring," I am likely to remove that tag, since it--according to my taste--is not boring. Almost all other tags are not taste-based but are somehow more factually descriptive since they correspond to aspects of the music that are not subjective.

And so forth.....
flagvelusip
All I ever wanted was some Sunshine.

89 Posts
#1245 (3 years, 10 months ago)
I noticed the tags used as maintenance notes. I'm guilty of this, but I'm trying to change. It's better to "report" something wrong with a tune via the [Edit Information] link under Song Corrections & Updates on the song page. If something sounds horribly wrong, it may have been automatically recovered and needs to be manually fixed.

needs_reencoding: don't do this! "Report" instead.

outoftune: Sometimes fair when people use poor samples, sometimes unfair with TIA/POKEY or microtonal stuff. If it's quite an example, and possibly not radio safe, feel free to "report" it.

loop: an instruction to maybe re-encode this tune later with a nice loop. Perhaps it's too short or ends abruptly. Just "report" instead. (EDIT: I just noticed there's over 1300 tunes labeled "short" which likely fall into this category. Just leave the tag. lol)

looping: obviously as intended (in pattern instructions), but hasn't been done on the stream? Sort of an ambiguous tag which I will try to eliminate.

looped: above complete, ends up being a nice and useful tag.

loopit: a demo group. Not to be confused with the above.

I forgot a bunch I was going to list. Anyone got others? Respond in a year or so.
Pages: 1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.