User Menu

Notification settings

Currently Playing

PC (other)You Said Hello by flag Sleeperspaceborn (Andrew Nissley)
Requested By: flagMMX

Time Left: 8:21

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

Site Development » Locking times for new songs?

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagfranz_opa
Steadily at the low level

74 Posts
#179 (5 years, 4 months ago)

Which kind of locking times would be good for new songs?

Currently newness does not give any mercy and thus for instance when new Revision songs are uploaded, only few lucky ones hear them and others have to wait for weeks to hear them again. New and popular songs cannot be played like on "real" radios which may play them once in an hour (instead of waiting for three weeks).

I think something like this would be a better treatment for new songs:
New songs could be played three times during their first and during their second week and twice during weeks three and four. After that normal locking times would apply.

What are your thoughts?
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

376 Posts
#898 (4 years, 5 months ago)
I like the general idea.
About numbers: as a rough average, we are getting something like 5 uploads per day, so maybe factor that into the equation.
I think even more than 2-3 times a week could be acceptable for new songs, to give them a bit more exposure. Some users rarely request from the new upload list anyway.
flagarrakis
Amiga&C64 rulez

278 Posts
#906 (4 years, 4 months ago)
Franz, yes thats good ideas.

And if djrandom is playing id suggest that we can ASAP req three songs. For now, u must wait end of Djsuxrandom song to end.

Also, guyz requesting over 6Mn song should be limited to one song...Sometimes 12mn songs can be annoying.

Thanks for reading.

Mirror, Franz: No notifications of those new songs are made thats why theyre not so much played ASAP.
flagnyingen

317 Posts
#907 (4 years, 4 months ago)
Speaking of long tunes in the queue, IIRC we used to have a time-based req system, in which a user could req a certain number of minutes of tunes each hour. Does anyone remember this? I'm talking about Yes-era Necta, a long time ago, I know. I feel like such a system has some good points.
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

376 Posts
#908 (4 years, 4 months ago)
> And if djrandom is playing id suggest that we can ASAP req three songs.
> For now, u must wait end of Djsuxrandom song to end.

Probably yes. The only possible downside is that if djrandom has chosen a very long song, this requesting in advance could tie up the queue for quite a while. That says more about djr choosing a long song, though!

> Also, guyz requesting over 6Mn song should be limited to one
> song...Sometimes 12mn songs can be annoying.

One possible way to generalise from this: instead of the "advance queue limit" being 3 songs per person, make it x minutes per person. For example 12 or 15 minutes. (Perhaps cap the number of songs too, or some joker will make a huge solo queue of all the shortest songs )

> Mirror, Franz: No notifications of those new songs are made thats why
> theyre not so much played ASAP.

How would we notify? Automatic pop-ups or PMs would be a bit annoying for this, as songs are uploaded too frequently. I could imagine a feature that adds a little line of text saying "4 new songs uploaded since your last login -- click here to see them". We would just need to keep track of the highest song ID that existed the last time each user was logged in, and see if it has increased.
flagarrakis
Amiga&C64 rulez

278 Posts
#910 (4 years, 4 months ago)
One idea: when new uploaded songs are available: just make the click words in an other color ?
flagarrakis
Amiga&C64 rulez

278 Posts
#911 (4 years, 4 months ago)
Nygen i CAN remember that !
I can even remember when u was alone u could req over 5 tunas and three tunes even when many ppl were around requesting...Well this last possibility shall not be accepted again considering VB requesting 3x20mn songs !
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

376 Posts
#912 (4 years, 4 months ago)
arra: you mean "highlight" the New Uploads in the menu, with bright yellow background or something? That is possible. We would probably have to extend the site CSS and check that all the themes would display it properly... something for Starchaser maybe. -- oh, or it could have one of those little "number patches" like Facebook shows for how many new messages you have. 8 new songs.
flagarrakis
Amiga&C64 rulez

278 Posts
#913 (4 years, 4 months ago)
Yes, mirror, thats what i was meaning...sorry for old limited scene english. Or numba patch could even better but i guess more complex to code.

flagarrakis
Amiga&C64 rulez

278 Posts
#924 (4 years, 4 months ago)
Pls forbid two or more following >10mn songs : russians (vithro, VB) are used to do that
flagnyingen

317 Posts
#959 (4 years, 3 months ago)
New tunes are now locked for about 2 days during their first 2 weeks and then 3 days during their next 2 weeks. I will see about retroactively applying this so we can hear the last 2 weeks' worth of uploads.
Pages: 1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.