User Menu

Notification settings

Currently Playing

SID (6581/8580)Zoo Jam by flag Mutetus (Sami Juntunen)
Requested By: flagplc
Icon Icon

Time Left: 3:08

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

General » New chat space: Element/Matrix

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagnyingen

318 Posts
#1445 (3 years, 5 months ago)
Get Element: https://element.io/get-started

#nectarine:matrix.org <- Enter this into the Element app to connect.

We're pretty much done with IRC, as there has been virtually no activity there for the past 2 years. Discord is too centralised/proprietary for me, logs everything centrally, and Nectas have not generally adopted it for off-site chat. (I would know, I monitor the Necta discord channels every day, as well as the IRC channels).

Read more about Element on the site, or on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Element_(software). Element is based on a protocol called Matrix, which is an open standard, for what it's worth. It also supports end-to-end encryption, which I use in private chats, but is probably too cumbersome for Necta chat.

Looking forward to seeing you there.
flagfranz_opa
Steadily at the low level

74 Posts
#1447 (3 years, 5 months ago)
I thought IRC channel is just for emergency situations. For what else it should have been since we have the webchat here...

To clarify: this room discussed uses Matrix protocol and Element is just one optional client for getting there (so you can also use Weechat IRC client with a Matrix plugin or whatever you can find)

I have joined to this room in any case.
flagnyingen

318 Posts
#1448 (3 years, 5 months ago)
Thanks, franz.

My idea here is that we can use it not only for emergency situations, but also for some general chat if desired, as it has a nice interface and PMs are secure. As far as I know, there's no data mining on Element/Matrix. It has become my main chat platform instead of IRC. If it were to become popular, a bridge to oneliner would be simple to implement.

"Signal" is also very good for security, but requires a mobile phone number and the use of a mobile app, even if you only want to use it on the desktop.
flagarrakis
Amiga&C64 rulez

281 Posts
#1449 (3 years, 5 months ago)
Wow
flagnyingen

318 Posts
#1450 (3 years, 5 months ago)
Ok, so after more discussion with other staff, the consensus was to stick with Discord as the external chat space. I will still be on Matrix if any Nectas feel like chatting there.

The Discord invite link is here: https://discord.gg/ze74qyu

We have reorganised the channel list, purged inactive users, etc, so things are much tidier there now. In the event of a site outage, Discord, not IRC, would be the place to look.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

(small rant next)

I would also like to say that if people have ideas for fixing stuff on the site, adding new features, musing about coding issues, and so on, oneliner is NOT the place to do it. It's impossible to search or archive, the reverse-order format makes past conversations difficult to follow, and I'm generally not going to mess with that. We have a #site-development channel in the Discord that is much, much better for that kind of thing! I mean, sure, talk about that stuff on oneliner if you want, but don't be surprised if it scrolls off the oneliner with no result.

flagvelusip
All I ever wanted was some Sunshine.

89 Posts
#1451 (3 years, 5 months ago)
We're living in the weirdest timeline. I would have expected a group of computer enthusiasts to choose Matrix (free, open, federated, encrypted) over whatever Discord is doing. "Where have all the unixbeards gone?" - Paula Cole, probably.
flagnyingen

318 Posts
#1452 (3 years, 5 months ago)
Yes, I would expect that as well, but network effects seem to be the dominant factor. "Too many chat platforms" was cited. Some others are already using Discord for other things so having a Nectarine button on it is convenient. We're all volunteers anyway so convenience is a big draw, certainly.
flagfranz_opa
Steadily at the low level

74 Posts
#1455 (3 years, 5 months ago)
Velusip: Nectarine users rather associate to gamers than "computer enthusiasts"
flagnyingen

318 Posts
#1456 (3 years, 5 months ago)
Nectarine admins are certainly computer enthusiasts though, in the sense of programming languages, Unix savvy, etc.
Pages: 1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.