Currently Playing

NESThriller by flag Virt (Jake Kaufman)
Requested By: flagDannyboyo

Time Left: 4:25

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

Site Development » Feature idea: upload unplayable original file

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

376 Posts
#1368 (3 years, 6 months ago)
Necta feature idea: allow uploading "original file not for playback" when we know the encoder will mangle the file, but we want to preserve the proper original file for some future time, when computers are amazing enough to play a fucking file.
(This is purely for Amiga MED files. Or any other really weird stuff you have got.)
flagnyingen

317 Posts
#1373 (3 years, 6 months ago)
Not quite sure what you have in mind here. Are you saying you would upload the unplayable original file in addition to a streamable version (mp3, ogg)? That's probably a no-go as putting an extra file field in there is probably more trouble than it's worth. On the other hand, if you want to upload the original file, and have the song be inactive (because it is unplayable) that would be quite easy, involving only a few small tweaks to the uploading form.
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

376 Posts
#1374 (3 years, 6 months ago)
nyingen: yes, I would like the ability to store an extra or "supplementary" file alongside the playable one. The idea is that sometimes we have to use an approximation to the real file (for example, an MP3 recording of a ZX Spectrum tune! which is probably like 6 MB which is obscene! -- but not why I'm requesting this) -- because we can't play it "natively". We are able to play some formats natively, such as a MOD, but the player algorithm can't handle MED properly and it doesn't even know what the hell a Spectrum STC file is. So: it would be nice to store one extra file alongside, saying "this is the original file containing the music, even though we can't play it FROM this file right now".
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

376 Posts
#1375 (3 years, 6 months ago)
If you aren't on board then consider all those weird oldnecta songs we have got, and imagine being the last radio on earth that has got a certain SID, and someone says "can I have the SID, to study and remix it" -- ahhh well no it's an MP3.

-- If it's not technically doable then fine but I think this is THEORETICALLY DESIRABLE
Pages: 1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.